We held our semi-annual Sudden Fiction Contest last Wednesday…
Contestants were given 30 minutes work with the following 3 prompts…
1) First, look at this picture by HCC alum Aliea Wallace: http://www.aliea.com/index.php/galleries/drawings/victorian-at-night
2) The first sentence of your story must follow “The 5 Letters” game, which is…
You are given 5 letters. You must start each word of your first sentence with those letters, in order. For example, if you were given the 3 letters A, R, and E, you might start your first sentence with… “Alicia ran erratically…” or “All rain erodes…”
The 5 letters that you’ll start YOUR story with are…
W T O C A
3) Beyond those 2 prompts, consider the following and choose at least 1 to work with:
- “A woman sitting by a pond puts her hand in her pocket…”
- “A man walking down the street starts to walk faster…”
- any of the following “trigger words”: polite, ghost, sharp, coffee, possibility
This is not a quiz, so take the prompts and then go wherever you want to go with them. Get as creative as you want to.
We are really glad that everyone entered. Almost everyone got mentioned among at least one of the 3 judges’ selections. Of course, “judging” creative writing is subjective, and the real point of the exercise is to get people writing and thinking, and that definitely happened.
But… contests are fun, and this was a contest, so…
Winner: Chris Trubac (winner of a 25 dollar gift certificate to the Holyoke Mall)
2nd place (tie) Turhan A. Branch‘e III, and Marykate Fleming
Come to Don-363 to collect your prizes.
NOTE: You should still feel free to write on these prompts – and post your writing into a message (below). We look forward to reading your work.